Saturday, March 5, 2011

Granville Island Public Market 1






Went to Granville Island Public Market today, with my cynical goggles on - I mean it can not possibly be better than Marché Jean-Talon, right? Wrong, it turned out.

The island, upon entrance, reminded me of Îles-de-la-Madeleine - so obviously I was in love already. Yeah it is also touristy, but well, so is Îles-de-la-Madeleine... There was this street performer, yep, those that make me stop and gape in wonderment. He was doing one of those chain-me-and-I’ll-unchain-myself trick which is also cool, but what gets me most is their wit... And as fate had it, one of the audiences that he called upon, happened to be a Montréaler... So here I am already crying... And I walk into the market itself... whoa... I immediately noticed the fresh fish selection much much better than in Montréal, obviously, and the pasta and chacuterie almost as good as or better than ours, not so obviously... The Vancouverite who sat next to me in the plane on my way here said at some point “the food is better in Vancouver, than Montréal”, to which I gasped, “really????”, sensing I must be offended, he immediately said “well just a notch”, to which I thought “pfft..”. I am having second thoughts about the “pffft...” now... The chesee I think Montréal might win - I have mentioned before that Montréal has excellent cheese?

Stunning views of downtown, and rich yachts on False Creek (so called because it is really not a creek, but an extension of the ocean itself)... Me thinks me is sold...

Oh also they had a big sign for a fisherman’s wharf.... mmm mmmmm... I can nit wait t get my own place...

No comments: