Thursday, March 31, 2011

car


So, I am moving to the new place tomorrow, so I was thinking of moving somethings with the car tonight. I go to where I parked my car and don't find it. First panic, then strangely, a thought of relief crosses my mind and I am already making plans for zip-car. I am thinking at worse it has been stolen and I won't do anything about it and at best it has been towed, in which case I won't do anything either; the city can keep the car. I don't want my life to be dictated be a car.

But either way, loss is not a very pleasant feeling - the idea that you didn't give it away, but it was actually taken away from you and it wasn't on your clock.

So I call the city towing, and what do I hear? There was road construction and so they actually moved my car to a different street. No other city that I lived in did that for me - if there was going to be construction there would be signs, often within 24 hrs, and if you are not moved, you are towed to the city towing lot at your expense. Either Vancouver is super nice, or they got slapped with a huge liability case - I am going to go with the former.

So the next day I go to find my car. And it turned out that they actually moved my car to a no parking zone and then slapped a parking ticket on it - still better than being towed. Also it was a case that when you expect worse, and are faced with just bad, that bad doesn't seem so bad anymore. Relieved I was.

When I got in the car and started it, the feel the smell... I thought, what was I thinking when I was being relieved and thinking of going car-less? I love my car - yep this cosmetically damaged old car... I still don't want my life to be dictated by a car... but *a* car is different from *my* car.

No comments: