Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Creepy Landlords



So, I am still in the mood of "check out some Vancouver hoods with apartment shares", so am writing to a lot of those. This one ad said 'homestay' - they would even cook for you if you want - sounded like an old couple, so I went.

It was a 50's man... and a creepy man at that... He talked slowly and very enunciated... and when he took me to show my room, there was already a guy, 18-ish East Asian guy. And then the landlord spoke to both of us, in slow and well paused sentences, like we were retards or something; like you would say "good dog". I guess it makes sense in retrospect that he spoke like that if he is used to talking to a lot of people whose first language is not English.

Anyway, later as he was showing me around the house he asks me if my name means anything in my language, like maybe a beautiful flower perhaps? I am like '...'. "Because you smell really good" he adds and I squirm my face, in part disgust, part that's-a-weird-thing-to-say way. "Must be your shampoo or something". Now, by this time I am thinking, "I am not staying with Hannibal Lecter", because his frame in part resembled him, but also because it reminded me of the scene when Lecter sniffs out Clarice... But because I suck at suddenly changing my tone with strangers, I keep talking as I was before. When I leave, he refers to this: "what energy you brought in here, it is so great! thank you very much for coming!"

Today would be the day I decide, enough apartment sharing, I should probably get my own place, since this month in Japan is also probably not happening...

No comments: