Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Railway CLub

Railway club - there's a small train going around constantly on the wall!! This is my favorite French conversation venue. Without French conversation, I would have gone insane in Vancouver…

Once, my housemate in Minneapolis said that she likes to go to church, even though she is not a big believer, just because when she was doing refugee work in South East Asia, she found community in the church. I like to think French serves the same purpose for me. As a group of people French people belong right in Europe, with their extremely nationalist ways and intolerance of anything that is not like them, that stems from their imperialist past. But take Europe and multiply their bad by 10 and you have the French. Me, not a big fan of Europe, certainly not a fan of France or French. Despite, it serves as a community for me, a place, a reason for me to seek out new friends. And in the process I learn, not all French people are fucked up….

No comments: