Monday, June 4, 2012

OCD people

This old man, with fat fingers presumably, was texting on his phone with the key beep on. I can see how that can be helpful to tell you that you actually hit the key hard enough that the character typed. But yeah, most of us keep this turned off because it is annoying. So he was going beep beep beep beep all throughout for maybe 10 mins. It wasn't annoying to me, but it did get my attention and I quickly psyched myself to tune it out reminding myself that one day I too will be old and have fat fingers - not really… but I always think I have enough crap in my own life to bother me, so I try to minimize external minimal irritants. This was not the philosophy of one of the younger guys sitting in the back with his laptop, who after 10min.s broke down and said asked if he can please turn the sound off. The old man with fat fingers basically asked him to just shut up. Another passenger chimed in, that he too was bothered. And the old man with fat fingers accused both of them and continued to finish his texting - a big fight did not break out, but there was a lot of tension in the bus until the old man with fat fingers got off a couple stops later.

I thought about how as adults, we can not take things easy, how we insist that every little thing bothers us and how we insist to not get along and just fight for no good reason. There are so many things to speak up in this world, but these two boys choose to speak up against some mildly annoying sound. Instead of offering a solution in the form of a simple, 'I will soon finish', the old man decides to snap. All three of them idiots, and I too am guilty of this behavior at times. We are after all very much animals still.

No comments: