Saturday, June 2, 2012

Girls

I don't get along too well with girls, as you may already know. I guess I had an overdose of girls for the first 18 years of my life, or maybe with a such a statistically large sample, I learned that girls are just these super-soft lovey dovey people, but ultra mean humans… well I imagine not any meaner than guys… but I think with guys, I don't have too many boundaries, well not with most… I love the ability to call their crap when it is time, which I can't bring myself to do to girls - again probably all the cry-baby girls from back during my school days. So all this to say, there aren't too many girls that I have truly felt comfortable with and even fewer whose humor I've identified with. Actually I don't say this too proudly - it does eat in to my abilities at work places.

So, Jiae, is one of them girls who I really like. We first had an outside of regular work interaction, while we were discussing housing situation during long times in Japan and she suggested I sublet my apartment to her. She looked quite decent and I agreed - I wasn't going to sublet the place anyway but thought why not. I must admit I was not completely comfortable not knowing if she would be clean or be careful with things. My doubts were soon out to rest when I got to spend a week with her in Japan - she was super clean without being paranoid about it, but what really impressed me was her ability to figure new machines and stuff by guessing - a true physicist. We never agreed how much she should pay for the apartment and when it was time to pay, I gave her the chance to decide - I thought it would be a good way to gauge her - and she did not disappoint.

We had so much fun in Japan that we wowed to continue to hangout when we got back to Van. This is her first attempt - she cooked Korean food for me. The food was simple but tasty - as I have come to know Korean food, spicy and more flavorful than Japanese food. Soon, this black bean powder, that she mixed with milk and honey, will become a staple in my daily food. I will use it with fruit for a snacky drink and then for breakfast with yoghurt.

I must also say there was some pretty intensive romance that was booming between Jiae and one of my very good friends from my PhD experiment, while she was in Tokai. Well I don't know how much of it Jiae identified with, but my friend was definitely in to her. I was very much hoping that it would materialize in to something, with the secret hope that this would somehow lead to both of them being in my life forever. But it is slowly dwindling now… and except for hints now and then, I haven't had the courage to address this issue directly with either of them… oh well…

No comments: