Wednesday, June 4, 2008

First Encounter with Canadian Law Enforcement

So yes, Alexey was right after all - Canadian highways are sooooooooo slow... Add to it, I came on a smaller highway. Those of us who constantly compare the Autobahn to US highways and just shake our heads, oh... wait till we get to Canada! Even the big highways have a speed limit of 100km/h (=62 mph!!!)... Around big cities though people will easily drive 120km/h (that's still 78mph only!!! compare that with big city Chicago where people do 90mph normally!)

So I am driving 120km/h on this small 90km/h highway! Yes I did that! Now before you get on your soap box and chastise me, remember that I had at least 1760 km in total for this trip.. and really people can go very safely at 120km/h (=78mph)... please relax!! In Canada it turns out cops going on the opposite way will track your speed too. May be this is true in the US too, but has never happened to me... So he U-turns, comes after me and is like 'going home?' and he totally threw me off - I wanted to say something smart assy like 'it is going to be my home, now', but decided against that in the nick of time and said 'going to Montreal'. He said 'all the way from Minnesota?' and I think that totally melted his heart - he just said 'slow down and have fun in Montreal!'... how sweet! I have never been stopped in the US and not gotten a ticket - so there - Canadian cops are one up over the US cops in my books!

No comments: