Monday, June 9, 2008

Eating Fancy in Quebec City



We went to this fancy shmancy steakhouse, Le Charbon, and ate like pigs - apparently that's the way the French eat, I was told by the two French people in thr group. I have not eaten that much since I was in Sri Lanka and was forced to gobble up food...

The waiter brought in the raw cuts to show and explain before we ordered, and I couldn't help but ask him if the portions were that big, really - "we eat big in France and eat for 5 hours" I was told by the Parisian girl... The Creme Brule was the tastiest I have ever had but the steak, well it was pretty good, but nothing to so die for....

The steakhouse had these lampshades made of cow skin - it was pretty, but I did have mixed feelings about cow every where in the steakhouse...

I sat next to this Parisian girl (she insisted Paris French is one thing, just French is another thing) who was very animated and loud and was hell bent on putting some pounds on me. She said she might have to lend me some pounds and she can afford to do so; I thought 'heck, yes you can'. I want people to talk in French; most people speak English to me, perhaps because my accent or because I speak slowly and they're trying to be polite; so yes I do like it if people speak French and I am forced to learn. But man I haven't been ever so tired to sit next to someone who very animatedly spoke some language that I didn't understand. Even though she wasn't talking to me most of the time, she was sitting next to me...

Morale of the story, don't ever sit next to a Parisian whose mom is Italian..., this from my statistical sample of 1!

No comments: