Saturday, June 14, 2008

Apartment hunt in Montreal - 1

So yes, my professor was correct, there are indeed a lot of apartments in Montreal. But most are pretty shitty.

The first house I went to, the occupant was a single guy and was not dying to rent out the apartment, obviously; it was messy and dirty - I can usually handle messy, but certainly not dirty. I wouldn't have liked it anyway - not enough sun. $820!!

The second was 'Thaththi's apartment' as I speculated. Definitely South Asian, may be south Indian and most likely Sri Lankan Tamil even. But Malli and I were dead on, on the South Asian one - people say there's a reason behind stereo types - I hate that statement, but sometimes it is true! Shitty again! ~$700!!

Then I looked at one apartment in the Plateau ($900); it was pretty with a fireplace etc, but was semi-basement. I did see a couple of those for about that much but I do need one with enough sun, now that I am working in a windowless lab.

Then I went to this place, with about 30 units and met the landlord, quite a unique character. He took one look at my MN license plate and went on an anti US rant. "I went to Boston when I was 15, but vowed never to go there again". It really didn't bother me too much because a)I am not American and b)you don't worry about what every random person thinks, in general. But in an effort to make pleasant conversation I go like "well you would have felt different if you went to Minnesota"; big mistake! "oh, I don't think so!" he snapped back! "You see I am part aboriginal and I do not want to give them my money". I thought it was funny that Stephen Harper had only on Wednesday apologized to the Natives on gross mis-treatment in trying to wipe out their culture. This man thought that the USA did more harm than Canada, it seemed like. He went on to tell me that George Bush was a Free Mason and he's only a soldier and look what he does, imagine if he were a higher ranked!! "Well", I thought, "I guess I am not staying in that apartment!!". His apartments were not nice anyway.

I just realized it is 6/14 - is this a bad day to apartment hunt?

No comments: