Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Universal Health Care



Sri Lanka has this - which means everyone gets treated (even if you are a foreigner, I saw a couple actually) and you even get basic medicine for free (!!!!!!) but there are looooong lines... But both my parents are teachers and Kandy is small enough that they know quite a few people... so we get to cut lines... Now, before you scream scandal, my teacher parents also got paid crap all their lives, so.... Imagine my surprise as I pulled out my wallet to pay for the pain killers and my brother said "what are you doing?"... it was free... I guess I had forgotten... or had never had to deal with this... Oh, don't now get me wrong, I was a sick kid, but I guess my parents took care of it all...

This was at the Peradeniya teaching hospital, where I went to remove my birth mark on my back... In summer when I wear tank tops and it is visible, my friends would say, "why don't you get it removed"... and I would ignore them... but this time my Mom said this... you know something is really ugly, when your Mom says so...

The other photo is from the boiling/disinfecting room for surgical apparatus... You might think it is primitive, but it really is very clean...

It was my first ever surgery in life... it would leave a scar that after 3 months is still very visible...

No comments: