Friday, April 9, 2010

home... I used to call it that


I went to SL with such trepidation this time... Someone in SL had expressed their desire to not see me... Until a few days before I left I thought I had lost a friendship in Montreal... And suddenly I had the feeling of being in the plane, in the sky, leaving a place where no one was waiting for me, to a place where no one was waiting for me... Only the great big sky, its clouds my home... I cried...

But, it turned out, I didn't lose the friendship in Montreal; we made up. And as I will decide on the day I come back from SL, it was one of the best vacations I have ever had - the person who was not looking forward to seeing me, eventually warmed up... and I left SL with a feeling I had always dreamed of... the daughter of two proud parents who thought the world of me, not only because I had gotten my PhD, not only because I had bought a condo, but also because I "brought life (in the form of noise, albeit) to their house", according to my Mom...

This picture, looking down the main road in Kandy, from the Kandy lake, filled with so many memories... of school days, tuition for AL's, friends, some boyfriends, some would-have-been-my-boyfriends... I know it sounds weird to say boyfriends in plural like that, but...

You're going to meet the most extraordinary men, the sexiest, brightest, funniest men, and you're going to fall in love with so many of them, and you won't know until the end of your life who your greatest friends were or your greatest love was.
- Harvey Milk, in Milk, 2008


We are what we are, because of the people we met, like I've always said... Thank you to just not my family and friends, but all those people who touched my life... Just going around that lake, taking pictures like that, in solitude, I couldn't help but think I have had a good life...

No comments: