Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kill a Cop


A man sits and a bicyclist goes pass a sign next to a bustling metro station, Jean Talon, that says, "Kill a Cop".

What does this mean - if it has some hidden Montreal meaning I do not now. But I thought may be it really was either someone expressing their frustration or mocking the cops.

Now I might be totally wrong, but it reminded me of the recent riots in North Montreal. These cops try to arrest a known criminal in a park and the guy's brother jumps in the scene, something happens and one cop shoots the brother, yeah you guessed it, fatally!! So the whole neighborhood riots; they torch down a couple cop and other cars etc.

There is an investigation, so we don't know what happened. But I heard that the kid jumped on one of the cops and held her down - what was her partner supposed to do? Apparently, fire warning shots... yeah right...

Now don't get me wrong, I ain't no fan of the cops. I got too many traffic tickets and sometimes they come with an attitude and yes some times I feel like they behave as big bullies, even though I don't have much evidence to this effect - other than the fact that every time I got a ticket they didn't seem too nice, but then I had sped, so...

But come on people! Cut the guys some slack! They got accused of racial profiling and the big chiefs came out and said they were doing everything possible to look in to it and sent the cop on mandatory leave and they are doing all these training sessions etc to increase racial awareness. This is a good thing, racial awareness is never a done deal; you have to keep improving on it. But seriously, to confuse self defense with racial profiling??? What a circus!!

Still, wall art, even when it says 'kill a cop', is beautiful and is an earnest expression of the beat of a city I think...

No comments: