Saturday, August 4, 2012

Montréal



 Ok, so I am fairly certain that I will live in Montréal, or at least use it as a base for all my worldly endeavors. I love Montréal because,... well I love Montréal for a lot of reasons, like this hole-in-the-wall coffee shop that serves great coffee for $2 and if you are nice and the barista is in a good mood you also get free donuts

because St-Catherine turns in to a pedestrian street all summer long,
                         










because I love the beautiful blue skies of the hot Montréal summers (I am not used to the hotness anymore though - spoiled by Vancouver). I remember once someone said he loved the great expansive skies of North America - I never understood that, but I guess they are pretty, specially when they are juxtaposed with pretty pink balls like this... :)                                                                                                
                              because I have great memories of my old home, even though, significantly richer people live there now (notice the gas stove)                                                                     

But I also realize how I hate nationalism and how nationalist Québéc can be. I guess I will have to learn to deal with it. Like these guys did: no where can you put a Canadian flag up in Québéc without risking being stoned to death; but by cleverly lining it with the gay flag these guys actually managed to make it stay up - if you throw stones at them now, it will be a hate crime against gays and that would make you so 1970's and no one wants to be so 1970's. Yeah, I know, if you throw stones at anyone who doesn't worship the language and culture that's Française, that is somehow not a hate crime and you will fit very well in to 2012 Québéc. But, idiots are everywhere - no where in the world will I escape those... so I will come to Montréal despite... I guess...


No comments: