Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Self-service



So growing up poor, it is kind of hard for me to have servants; i.e., I feel like if I am capable of making a mess, I must also be capable of cleaning it; if I am capable of driving, I must be able to pump gas etc. North America's present unpretentious ways have only re-inforced this idea (I am not talking about North America's slavery days, which also can be traced back to, well, let's just say out of North America). So in North America, most gas stations will be self-service.

In Japan though, most gas stations are full service. I drive in to this station on my way to work once a week (yes, I drive a gas-guzzler, unfortunately this is what's given to me y our institution: apparent;y it helps transport large numbers of people) and these two employees come out running, squat and pump gas, run around the vehicle and wash all the windows etc, all the while, as I am squirming in the car, bowing and arigato-ing every which way. Pumping gas by yourself in Japan is also a complicated business, so I am not feeling guilty enough to find a rare full service station, now I just have to say 'konbawa, regular man tan des, sumimasen' and I have a full tank of regular gas afterwards... Still I wish they didn't come out running, like every second of my time is so valuable, cos it obviously is not...

No comments: