Wednesday, March 21, 2012

ol' acquaintances



It is nice to be here in Japan, I feel less suffocated than I am in Vancouver. Maybe it is the general composition of people, maybe, and I hate to get on the bash American band wagon, but all the Americans in Vancouver bother me in one way or the other, so maybe it is larger non-American presence, or maybe, it is because I have some familiar friends from my previous experiment.

Yes, I know, I am all kicking and screaming about being dragged out of Vancouver and having to live out of a suitcase, but now that I am here and loving it, I am wishing I could stay here longer.

But back to my old friends - it is always fun to see people I haven't seen for a while. And this is the first time that we are meeting outside of the scope of a collaboration meeting where we don't have to hang out with people from our own institutions. To celebrate, we went out and had shabu-shabu. The three of us are all about six to eight years older than when we first met, and four since we last met. We (well not really me, but…) are a good deal heavier than we were back then - a heaviness reflected in the soft pant that is almost unnoticeable, unless you are actually standing close to each other. We are all less shy and more at peace with each other and are able to have adult like conversations and tease each other without freaking out of the opposite sex.

We had such a great time, talking about physics, talking about our countries, talking about our old experiment and of course about the US, where we met (none of us are American), throwing rock-paper-scissors for shitake's, trying chopstick tricks. Finished the night off at an izakaya that left us running for the last train. Friendship, is indeed a good feeling to have…

No comments: