Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cabane a Sucre






Cabane a Sucre, a celebration of the Maple Syrup harvest, literally translates to Sugar Shack. Back in the day the hard labour was celebrated with a lot of greasy/lardy food. I was having my soup when I was told that it was in fact pieces of lard and not potatoes that were floating in there!!! Everything came with syrop d'erable (maple syrup), the ones that we are used to like ham and baked beans, but also the ones that I am not used to like scrambled eggs. Then there were the Quebec classics, orielles du Christ, pieces of fried lard (!!! can you even fry lard? I think it is impossible!!) translating into Christ's ears - Quebecers have this love hate relationship with anything Catholic; Pouding Chomeur, a very very sweet guy thing, translating into poor man's pudding, and no, no poutine. And then at the end we had tire d'erable, hot maple syrup rolled on a stick and

I am still looking for my insulin shots and lipo suction shots...

No really... it was a great experience - we went to the actual restaurant which was situated in the middle of a farm, by horse buggy. So it was romantic too...

No comments: