Friday, July 31, 2009

Framboise Preserves


It is Friday night in Montreal; there's the Les FrancoFolies, Osheaga music & arts festival, Otakuthon anime festival just to name a few... One friend invites me to dinner - he even promises to cook... Another friend invites me to go to the Les FrancoFolies... I chose instead to stay home and make Raspberry preserves... Sometimes I want to just be by myself and reflect... Why not get some canning going on in the mean time...

Canning had been on my mind for almost a year now - reducing environmental footprint ou queleque chose comme ca... It turned out good... It was my first time canning... It is easy, but time consuming... And really I don't know how environmentally sustainable this is... I first boiled the jam for about an hour and between that and all the sterilization of jars and then heat processing used up quite a bit of electricity.... My bro called me Gandhi Gee, said I was taking this self-sustenance thing too far... He suggests I move into the wilderness and try making my own clothes and all (which, I reminded him, I am able to do and I have done in the past)

It was great though... the next morning they were shining in the sun like this... the seals were properly vacuumed and the preserve itself had proper consistency... Oh did I mention, no preservatives at all... just sugar and our farmers' market raspberries... yum... yum....

Stay tuned for Raspberry Souffle tomorrow... No! the raspberries were not on sale, I wanted to make Raspberry souffle and ended up buying a whole lot because, well... , they were on sale... Hey it is Framboise season...!!!

PS. ironically tomorrow's (Saturday's) Gazette had an article about us, the do-it-yourself'ers... well, they're some steps ahead of me...

No comments: